Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Monday, May 21, 2007

Stromboli Recipe

Yes, Amy (Mother of Many), I will share my recipe. (O;
Sorry, no pictures.

Although Stromboli is different around the United States, I will share the recipe that you would find in a Pizza joint where I live. (O;

First you start out with a pizza crust recipe (or your standard homemade bread recipe). It has to be one from fresh...you can buy bread dough in the refrigerated or frozed section of your local grocery store, as well.

(Stromboli Dough): My Basic Bread Recipe
2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup sugar (I use raw sugar)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
5-6 cups bread flour

Instructions: In large mixing bowl add first 5 ingredients & mix well. Let sit 5-10 minutes or until yeast is proofed and dissolved. Then add 4 cups of flour & mix with a hand mixer (or your Standing Kitchen Aide mixer). Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead the dough into a soft smooth elastic ball. Let rise in your bowl or on a floured surface until double in size (about an hour). To keep the dough from sticking to the bowl either sprinkle flour on it or add a little oil.

When your dough is ready, divide it into three pieces and roll out as you would a pizza crust. Put your "pizza crust" on a greased pizza pan, add toppings* to half of the circle, then mozzerella cheese. Fold over crust & roll edge and seal as you go. My Stromboli is not rolled, it is folded into a half circle. Cut long slashes from center to edge, then brush entire crust with melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with garlic salt (you can also sprinkle with parmesan cheese). Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes.

*Toppings can be anything that you like. We usually make a meat Stromboli with pepperoni, sausage, ham, salami, or Buffalo chicken, etc. You can also add your favorite veggies. But DON'T put any sauce in the Stromboli...this is ONLY toppings and cheese. Also the mozzerella cheese needs to go on the top of the meat, not the bottom!!!

While your Stromboli is cooking you can heat up a jar of spaghetti sauce or make your own. Here is my recipe for making your own:

Sauce Recipe:

  • One 26 oz. can tomato puree
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic salt
I make my sauce "kid friendly" with no chunks. This sauce is best when it has time to simmer for about an hour. If you are sensitive to spices, you can use 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of each instead. I like mine a little spicy and have had to tone it down for my family...you may need to tone yours down even more than mine!

Serve your freshly baked Stromboli with your dipping sauce and your favorite sides!!!
Enjoy!!!

Heather

No comments: