Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Another Soaked Flour Bread Recipe...Dairy Free!!!

My daughter has food allergies, mainly dairy. If she eats anything with dairy in it without her allergy medicine, she gets very sick...mainly vomiting and diarrhea. If you take a drop of milk and rub it on her skin, she breaks out in hives. Many have asked me if it is just an intolerance to dairy. The answer, NO. I have had to explain to them what her symptoms are and also tell them that she has been to an allergist who confirmed out suspicions. (They did a skin test, she tested positive for allergies to milk--all milk, & milk products--and egg whites.)

Sometimes she can eat a "mystery" food, one that we are unaware of that has dairy in it, and anywhere from 15 minutes to 6 hours later she is throwing up.

A friend of mine gave me a Soaked Flour Bread Recipe WITHOUT Dairy, so I thought that I might share it...

Soaked Floured Bread Recipe...Dairy Free:

Mix:

  • 6 cups freshly milled flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 T lemon juice OR vinegar
Let mixture sit up to 24 hours, overnight works well, covered with plastic wrap or a damp cloth.

Mix:
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 T yeast
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Let sit 5-10 minutes. Then mix:
  • 1/3 cup honey or molasses
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 T dough enhancer
Mix honey mixture with yeast mixture and then into fermented flour mixture. Knead 8-10 minutes until blisters form using additional flour sparingly. Try to keep it at about 1 more cup of flour, will need more on humid days.

Bake at 350°F 20-30 minutes until medium dark brown.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mrs.Garcia said...

runningtothecross, thank you for this recipe. I am also Allergic to All Milk Products.
God Bless,
Mrs.Garcia