Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Monday, March 5, 2007

Making a Visible Difference

This weeks focus in our home is on making a visible difference in the home.

As you can see to the left of this post, I have already planned this week's meals. Half of my job is done for me because I don't have to sit around and think about "What's for Dinner?" Now, all I have to do is check my menu, lay out what I need a few hours or days ahead of time, and follow my menu.

Defining "Making a Visible Difference":

Has your husband ever come home from work and asked you, "What did you do all day?" In other words, the house is a mess and even though you have ran around doing this and that like a chicken with your head cut off, nothing "appears" to have changed. He can't tell that you have done anything. He is not trying to be inconsiderate or cruel, he is simply communicating to you that he cannot see any visible difference in the home. These "visible differences" are not only nice for him, but they are nice for you because you are creating peaceful surroundings that will help you and him to RELAX. You will look around and smile, instead of looking around and frowning, or worse panicking.

You must remember, however, that it is practically impossible to do everything in one day, maybe even one week, and if you suffer from any health issues it will take even longer. But don't be discouraged, take it one surface at a time.

Another thing to consider, especially if you homeschool or have small children, is that your time for cleaning may be severely limited due to the needs of your dear sweet children. They need your time, as well as your supervision (esp. for young ones and homeschoolers). You cannot plan for that messy diaper that required that your baby have a bath right then and there, but you can't ignore it either. Your child that is still potty training also needs to be reminded (and supervised) to use bathroom.

My venture tomorrow will start with the dishes.

  1. I will load and run the dishwasher, and then wash all the stragglers.
  2. I hope to clear and wipe down at least one countertop in the kitchen.
  3. Clear and dust one flat surface in the living room.
  4. I also plan to wash all the church clothes, a load of whites, and a load of my dresses.
  5. I may try to venture into one of my bathrooms and clean a mirror or countertop, but that depends on if the other tasks are completed.
You are welcome to join me in my venture to MAKE A VISIBLE DIFFERENCE. And if you do, I would love to hear what you accomplished! Knowing that I am not alone, can make a BIG difference in how motivated I am each day. 8-D

And I leave you with this scripture verse:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

Have a Wonderfully Blessed Day!!!
Heather

2 comments:

motherofmany said...

Today we will put up at least one shelf. We have so many people and such a small house that the only way to add space is to go up, so we have bought materials to put in 9 different shelving systems. I have taken before and will take after pictures to post when I am done.

With the shelves up, I can clear off the tables and floors where things are piled, waiting for a home. We have been trying to weed out what we really don't need in order to make space, but we can't get rid of everything.

I think we are planning to go to Middlefield after lunch. I need to grab some supplies and some material to make curtains for the shelves that are made from scrap wood or will be shelving items we might not want to look at (all the toilet paper, grocery bags, etc.) and there is a second hand store we have been wanting to check out for a while now, but never happen to be in town on the right day. Due to snow (and the Purim party last night) the girls' Hebrew class and piano lessons are cancelled, so we can go today.

Dinner is eggplant parm. and smothered portabella mushrooms with spaghetti. With the sauce in the Crock-Pot, it will take very little time.

Before I go to bed, I would like to:
Read the book of Numbers
Have all the dishes put away
File all paperwork in my pile
Get plant seeds started (after I clear the table of shelf items)
Give each child 1/2 hour of direct instruction so they can work on papers while I clean
Hopefully find some dresses at the second hand shop and wash and dry them
Exercise on the treadmill

I will check back in and tell you what I get done. This is a nice idea- a sort of an encouragement/accountability for the work ahead.

Nicole said...

I love this idea. Today I will clean my daughters' room, with their help ofcourse. For some reason that is the one room of the house that stays dirty.