Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Monday, April 9, 2007

Homeschool Week, Day 1


Unfortunately, today didn't go as planned...I ended up with one of my famous migraine headaches (from a sinus infection). However, I was blessed with helpers from church. I had someone here to help with my children and someone here to help with the work that I am behind on since I have been sick with what seems to be a sinus infection. God is good!

Here is what my children did:

4th grader

  • Saxon Math 54, lesson 126
  • Spelling-writing sentences for his spelling words (15), we use the Natural Speller for activities & word lists.
  • Handwriting-Keach's catechism & supporting Scripture
  • Reading-Book about pyramids in ancient Egypt.
2nd grader
  • Handwriting-Donna Young's cursive handwriting worksheets.
  • Math-free worksheets from another site (on Homeschooling Helps link list): He has already completed Saxon Math 2 for second grade so we are filling in with free printable worksheets until we purchase Saxon Math 3.
  • Reading-We are going through Teaching Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons.
I didn't work with my Kindergartner due to my headache, nor did I work with the other children. My daughter (kindergarten) is learning homemaking skills by helping to fold laundry and unload the dishwasher. She also changes diapers, clears and wipes the table and cleans up the floors when asked. She also uses the cursive handwriting sheets from Donna Young's site. She has been copying everything that she can all year long (words from cereal boxes, etc.).

My 5 year old and 3 year old are always writing letters, coloring and drawing. My youngest (almost 2) is learning how to repeat words. She can identify most of the parts of her face and she can follow simple instructions.

As we finish up basic math and the like, we will be delving into grammar, science, history and Bible history more thoroughly. We will be schooling through the summer since the baby is due in September.

I hope to have a better day tomorrow!
Blessings!
Heather

No comments: