Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Birth Story #2

I found out that I was expecting my second child shortly after my husband and I discussed the issues of using birth control. As we did our research, we discovered that some birth control pills could cause a miscarriage (or keep a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall). When we realized this, we decide it was time to stop. We would trust God to control our family size.

Just a couple weeks after our discussion, we found out that we were, once again expecting. My oldest son was about 9 months old when we found out, but I was elated! During this time, we decided that once our lease ran out on our duplex that we were going to try to purchase a home. We found a delightful home that, at the time, suited our family.

My due date was January 8, 1999 and that day came and went. I began rearranging furniture around the time of my due date, and cleaning everything that I could get my hands on. I actually rearranged an entire room!!! The nesting urge had hit me, but the baby stayed safely in the comfort of my womb. My mother-in-law arrived about a week after my due date, and waited along with me for the impending delivery. She kept me company as I impatiently waited to go into labor.

I went in for a stress test at about 9 days overdue. The midwife said the baby was fine and that we would wait it out. Tuesday, January 19, my mother-in-law and I decided it was time to go grocery shopping. When I arrived home that day, I noticed that I may have began to lose my mucous plug. Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel!

At about 11:30 p.m. that night, I began to have contractions. I called my mother, and she couldn't help but come over and wait out the night with me. The contractions were very irregular for the longest time. They seemed to regulate a bit by 7 or 8 a.m. the next morning so we called the midwife and told her we were coming in. When we arrived there, I was only dilated to 1 cm, so the midwife told me to go eat breakfast and go to the mall to walk for a while. UGH!!!

Off we went. First we found this little country diner to eat (where all the hunters go to eat breakfast). My son loved the place because he got a huge stack of pancakes, his favorite. Once we were finished eating, we took off to the outdoor mall.

The weather was actually really nice that day. The sun was shining, and I think it was in the 50s. Perfect weather for walking outdoors. We walked and walked, and shopped and shopped, and I labored and labored. I would stop at the benches with each contraction and breathe it out.

Shortly after lunch time we decided it was time to start heading in the direction of the birthing center. I was downright tired of walking stairs and walking on the hard sidewalk, I just wanted to rest on something more comfortable than the hard benches at the mall. However, before we got to the birthing center, we had to make one more stop at Walmart. By that time my contractions were 5 minutes apart and getting stronger with each contraction. I was extremely uncomfortable, but again very calm for the most part. Finally, after our trip to Walmart, we were headed straight for the birthing center...no more stops.

We finally arrived at the birthing center at around 1:30 p.m. or so. The midwife checked me and I was dilated to 7 cm. YEAH!!! I was immediately ready for the jacuzzi with jets. Oh, what a relief to get into the hot tub. It was so relaxing!!! Especially after walking all over the place!!!

When I got out I was dilated to about 9 1/2 cm. Again, NO transition. I was beginning to feel the urge to push, but I needed to empty my bladder one last time. Once I did, the midwife checked me and I was complete.

At about 3:55 p.m., I began pushing...this time I decided to try squatting. Although the squat bar was on backwards, I did find it much easier this time. I had such an urge to push that the midwife was telling me to slow down! I told her, "I can't stop pushing!!! I have to push!!!" After about 25 minutes of pushing, I had a baby! Much faster than the last time! I laid down and she put the baby on the warm towel on my tummy. I couldn't wait for my husband to tell me what I had. I immediately threw the towel off and screamed, "It's a boy, it's a boy!" Our second son was born at about 4:20 p.m. on January 20, 1999 weighing a whopping 7# 14 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long.

My husband tells me that I was crying, but I don't remember the tears, just the joy I felt knowing that I had another little boy. I don't remember much after that. I do know that I tore a little again, so the midwife had to stitch me up.

Nursing was also much easier! He didn't have any problem latching on and nursing. In fact, I think he may have nursed for the first 1 1/2 hours after he was born, but my memory has faded since then, so I am not positive on that fact.

He had me on a schedule within the first week of his life. He nursed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. He was very colicky, but very much a sweetie!

Blessings!
Heather

3 comments:

Mercy said...

Heather,

What a perfect time to read about your birth stories. I love them! I'll have to post mine too.

I'd love to have a birthing center around here. Both of mine were at hospitals. My first birth story is like a dream, my second was like a nightmare.

We're talking about doing a home birth this time. We are only 10 minutes away from the hospital just in case. We've been praying about it so we'll see how it all works out. :o)

Amity said...

Thank you so much for sharing your birth stories, they so so pleasant and uncomplicated, just the reassurance I need at this point:-) Everytime I read such a nice birth story it gives more confidence that things are going tobe just fine :-)

Disney for Boys said...

I have enjoyed reading your birth stries!! So glad to hear your SIL is going to be ok!

Praying for you and hoping your feeling well! :-)