Now, as many of you know, I have seven children, so eating to lose weight is not new to me. In fact, I have been doing this since I had my fourth child.
I was getting very close to 30-years-old when I decided that if I didn't lose weight now, it would probably stay on forever. So, first I figured out what I needed each day calorie wise by multiplying my weight by 11, adding 500 calories (for my nursing needs) and then subtracting 300 (for weight loss). For example a 130 pound non-exercising person needs 1430 calories to maintain their weight. In order to lose weight without exercising, you subtract 300 calories from your diet. This could simply mean skipping that 12 ounce soda and eating only half a sandwich (instead of a whole).
I began keeping a food journal, writing down every little bite I put in my mouth. I began measuring foods to make sure that I was eating the correct portion sizes. And beside each food that I recorded in my food journal, I wrote the amount of calories. A basic diet looked like this:
- 3/4 cup rolled oats with 1 T dates, 1 T raisins, stevia to taste, flax seeds, sesame seeds & lots of cinnamon (to help burn the calories...it really works!) (300 calories)
- 1 cup coffee with 1 T creamer, 1/4 t sugar (55 calories)
- Total calories= 355 calories
- 4 ounces meat the size of a deck of cards (125 calories)
- salad (free)
- 1 whole tomato (35 calories-basically free)
- dressing made with 1 t Italian salad dressing & 2 T plain yogurt (15 calories + 24 calories)
- 1 slice whole grain bread (90- 110 calories)
- Total calories= 289 - 309 calories
- 1 bag of microwave sweet & salty popcorn (240 calories...yes, I ate the whole bag!!!)
- Total calories = 240 calories
- I have 726 calories left for dinner which means I can basically eat a normal supper.
- 1 large grilled split chicken breast (250 calories)
- steamed broccoli (as much as I like...25 calories/cup)
- 1/2 baked potato w/ 1 T sour cream (150 calories + 60 calories)
- 1 slice whole grain bread or roll (about 90 - 150 calories, depending on if it is a roll or not)
- 1 piece of fruit (about 90 calories)
- Total calories= 665 - 725 calories
Grand Total = 1549 - 1629 calories
The maximum calorie amount for a 130 pound nursing/dieting mother is 1630 calories, I figured it out like this:
(130 x 11 = 1430 + 500 = 1930 - 300 = 1630)
Now, if you weigh more than that, like me, you get to eat according to your weight. Or in other words, you can eat more than that. (O; But as you lose weight, you also adjust your caloric intake accordingly.
This diet cuts out sweets completely, but when I "diet," I can't "afford" the sweet stuff...it's too pricey calorie -wise. However, I don't "deprive" myself of everything forever...just until I get most of the weight off. In fact, if you still want that sweet treat, just add a little exercise to the mix. 1 hour of kickboxing burns anywhere from 400-600 calories!!!
This is my plan of action for the next several weeks (not the same foods everyday, but a variety). I do tend to avoid carbs when I am dieting, but not totally. I mostly avoid white flour, white sugar & potatoes.
If my diet plan works, I should be back to my prepregnancy size in no time!!!