Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Why Have So Many Children?

Everywhere we go as a family, we have people staring and counting heads. "One, two, three, four, five, six!" (And we are pregnant again.) They may not ask us why we have so many children, but some do come by and speak to us. Amazingly enough they usually comment on how well behaved they are, as our battles are fought at home. I am very blessed to have such well behaved children, because I struggle greatly in my parenting skills, at times. I give the credit to God only.

"Why have so many children?"

Before my husband and I were married, we said we would take 10 children if the good Lord saw fit to give us that many. Four months into our marriage, I found myself expecting our first son. The funny thing is, around the time that I learned of my pregnancy, we had agreed to meet with one of my husband's college professors (who is also a minister) about the very topic of having children. He was going to speak to us on the matter of waiting to have children until my husband was finished with college. We didn't end up meeting with him and my husband ended up taking a break from college. We both worked full-time jobs for a while, until my boss ended up laying me off (probably because of my pregnancy).

My first son came without any complications, except for the cord wrapped around his neck twice. I found my pregnancy to be somewhat easy and the delivery didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would (I didn't use any meds).

With my first pregnancy behind me, I went back on the "pill" which I now don't agree with. When my pill ran out, I asked my husband what his thoughts were about me not using the pill anymore (we came from families with 3 children each). He told me this, "This may sound bad, but it doesn't matter to me how often you are pregnant, afterall we want 10 children, right?" I agreed with him and with that said, we no longer worried about controlling our ability to have children, we left it up to God. He has blessed us with six children with #7 on the way. Each pregnancy and delivery has been relatively easy and uncomplicated for me, only by God's amazing grace.


"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." Genesis 1:27-28

" Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."
"As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth."
"Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5


God has shown us through pregnancies and miscarriages, that children are truly a blessing. He controls our ability to conceive, He controls our ability to not conceive, and He decides the lifespan of each child he creates.

We still say that we will take 10 children if the Lord gives them to us, and if He gives us more than that, our van is a 15 passenger van so we can hold 13 children!

And for those who have not been able to have children, we have also seen God miraculously provide them with children through adoption. We've seen others who have had sterilization procedures done, prayfully conceive; or provided with the means for a reversal. And then others, who have not "controlled" their ability to conceive, only have 3 children. With this said, not everyone who gives the control to God has 10 children, and if He does give you many children, He will provide the strength you need to care for them, and the means to provide for them...for God is with us ALWAYS.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father."
"But the very hairs of your head are all numbered."
"Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 19:29-31


Blessings!
Heather


No comments: