Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Monday, February 19, 2007

Finally Sewing Again!!! Yeah!!!

I love to sew, but lately time hasn't allowed. However, this weekend I was finally able to get a new jumper done for my oldest daughter who is 6. This last summer I made her two dresses that she has already OUTGROWN! She has grown 4 or 5 inches since summer! Unbelievable!

Anyway, one of her only play dresses ripped leaving her with practically nothing to wear. So I found three A-line maternity jumpers that a friend had given me (she actually acquired them from someone else and they were too small for her, so she gave them to me). I had loaned these jumpers to two different friends and neither one of them used them either, so I decided that since I wasn't planning on using them myself I would make them into something that would be used. (Afterall, they were barely worn.)

Here is what I did:

  1. I laid the jumper that had ripped out onto a large piece of paper (a paper sack works well) & traced the bodice making sure to include about 5/8" extra around the edges for the seam allowance.
  2. I cut out the bodice "pattern" making sure to fold it in half to make sure both sides were even. I always cut the bodice out on the fold, so I only need half the pattern anyway.
  3. I measured my daughter from her shoulder to her waist and transfered that info to the pattern.
  4. I folded the maternity dress exactly in half and laid the back bodice pattern piece on the fold (the front and the back bodice are the same with the exception of the neckline) and cut out the front & back bodice at the same time. Since I used the back bodice piece, I then cut the neckline for the front piece & keeping the back piece the same. Remember, if you try this yourself, to put the bodice pattern piece as high up on the jumper as possible so you will have enough fabric for the skirt.
  5. I measured my daughter for the skirt length, & cut the skirt piece out making sure to only cut the skirt at the top so I could use the hem that was already in place at the bottom of the skirt. The skirt was practically finished since the side seams were already sewn and it was already hemmed, all I had to do to it was gather it.
  6. I then sewed the front and back bodice pieces together at the shoulder seams & side seams, pressed the seams open, created a keyhole in the back so the "new" jumper would fit over my daughter's head, rolled & sewed the edges to finish the bodice. You can also attach bias tape around the edges, which is much easier. I then pressed the finished edges.
  7. After gathering the skirt, I attached it to the bodice with pins & sewed it. I then made a loop for the keyhole on the back bodice & attached it. Then I sewed on the button of my daughter's choice. Finished!
It took me less than two hours to do, since the hem was already done, and I have a ruffler foot to do my gathering (although I had to adjust it a few times to get it just right). I still have two more maternity jumpers to recreate into jumpers for my daughter, but that will have to wait.

If you try this yourself, looking at a jumper pattern may help to clarify any questions you may have.

Have a GREAT DAY!!!
Blessings!
Heather

No comments: