Welcome and Blessings!

Thank you so much for stopping by! I have named this blog "Running to the Cross" because that is what I often find myself doing...running to be with my Lord Jesus! I often cover many aspects of life on my blog, as it is my journal. I used to write things down in all sorts of notebooks, but my writings would soon be lost. So I decided that it was time to start a blog and share my thoughts and ideas with others. Many topics you will find here are prayers, homemaking and organization, children and pregnancy, funny stories, and the challenges of parenting and motherhood. If you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment, you are likely to have me visit! I love meeting others and gleaning from the lives of others. May you be blessed! Your friend in Christ, Heather

Monday, February 9, 2009

Yeah!!! They Passed!!!!

I am celebrating today (in my heart) because the portfolios that I turned in to the school district last Monday for my 5 school-age children PASSED!!!!

I had never done a portfolio before, so I was a bit anxious about the whole idea of having someone "approve" of the school work that my children are doing... Sometimes I just don't feel "qualified" as a teacher. I wasn't a education major in college nor was I one to read on my own, so I finally feel somewhat accomplished at homeschooling. But this Art Major did something right and I am so thankful to my Lord and King, Jesus Christ.

But from this experience, I did learn a few "tricks of the trade." One being that I have to file all school papers away so that I don't have to go searching anymore for the "right one," I mean I dug through everything that we had trying to find what I felt was most appropriate for the portfolio. My 6-year-old daughter was so enamored with the idea of having a "folder" of her own that all the papers from the first part of the year she got into, emptied, and put new papers in... ugh. Thankfully I was able to gather those important papers together and file them away for the "real" portfolio, but if I hadn't been on my toes I would have struggled to find everything.

I can't remember if I explained the system in my last post or not, but now I have a much better system. Instead of filing things away in a 3-ring-binder, I have this paper bin from Sam's Club that I file all the children's papers in. Now I don't lose that "all-important" test that I want to use for the portfolio because it falls out of the binder before the school semester is up... the holes in the paper don't get worn out either.

I think this unit has 12 slots for paper, so I have 6 slots that I am using for each child... even my 3-year-old because she really likes to do school, too! I am hoping to have her writing her letters by next year (or maybe even this year), but I won't rush things as I want her to remain open to the whole schooling thing.

My other daughters ( 5 & 6-year-old) are really starting to "catch on" to letter recognition and phonics, as well. It is so wonderful to see them writing on their own, writing their names, numbers and letters... and for phonics, writing the symbols (letters) for the phonetic sounds.

Unfortunately, trying to stay completely on the schedule that I have created isn't as easy for me as it may be for others... you see, I am a finisher not a "stay on tasker".... I want to be able to let the schedule guide me, but I think, "What if I don't get it done tomorrow? I must do it today!" or "The lesson has to be finished!!!" You see, I have had the unfortunate experience of not being able to finish the book in a year... last year for example... We moved, and so we are just now finishing our math books from last year, ugh!

But I believe that my children need to learn to finish things that they start, else they may never get it done!

Well, again... time is short these days for blogging, for me, it just isn't the right "season" for blogging to long!

Blessings All!
Heather

No comments: